Thursday, October 8, 2009

Classic Track Thursday


"despite all my rage I am still just a rat in its cage"
this particular lyric reminds me of a literary-minded friend of mine who simply adores the following song. or at least he did a few years ago...

The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings [mp3]
from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

ever since I can remember, The Smashing Pumpkins have been a refuge from the mundane for me. this particular song really resonates with me, partly because of the repetitious chorus-- which is indeed an element of a genre I don't usually appreciate--but Klosterman is right, the Pumpkins are definitely a metal band at heart. to me, though, they'll always sound more prog rock than Sigur Ros. and that's saying something.

and, of course, the song title itself is incredible. effortlessly cool, unlike some other bands' obviously less successful endeavours in the same department

BONUS:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Today
just because this song always reeked of optimism to me (not the lyrics but the guitars in particular), and that is something so incredibly intrinsic to my own sunny personality. lately, I've had loads of spats with my narrow-minded employer--the epitome of private school squareness-- but every time I meet/talk to parents of my students, they always gush about how their kids love me, and always talk about me, and I don't think I have to worry about being fired any time soon. people would probably withdraw their kids in protest...a sixth grader told me I was her favourite teacher today and I'm not even her teacher =)

viva la revolucion!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 things...

1)The Smashing Pumpkins are not a metal band. They never have been, they never will be. There is nothing remotely resembling heavy metal in their sound.

2)Today is one of the least optimistic songs ever recorded

Unknown said...

I love the artwork from the Mellon Collie era, beautiful stuff.

Hanan said...

the music in Today sounds optimistic to me. are you trying to dispute what happens in my brain when I hear the song? because we all react differently to music. listening to Beach Boys always leaves me depressed for some unknown reason.
I never called them a metal band, but they do dabble into metal territory a lot. that's what Chuck Klosterman thinks anyways.

and I agree, David.