Wednesday, March 3, 2010

record review: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Beat the Devil's Tattoo


I have a problem with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. It’s their name. Trying a little too hard to be badass? Their poor choice of moniker has always caused me to keep my distance, I never really got into the band. And, as I listen to the latest from the San Francisco band, I feel justified in my previous skepticism. Beat The Devil’s Tattoo, their sixth studio LP to date, is underwhelming to say the least. Neither ferocious nor endearing, the album is like a lull version of a Jesus and Mary Chain album. These songs seem like they would translate well on stage, though. So the verdict is as follows, don’t rush out next Tuesday to buy the album, but if you do have a chance to see the band live, do it.
2.5/5

7 comments:

Murphey said...

I'm not a BRMC fanatic by any means, but Howl is one of my favorite albums of the 2000s. If you haven't already, check it out.

Unknown said...

I haven't listened to the new album yet, but I do plan on checking it out. I really love B.R.M.C(album) and Baby 81. I have seen them live before also, and I thought they were really good! They have a new drummer now though (the girl from The Raveonettes), so I'm interested to see how that works out. They are playing a free in store at Amoeba S.F. on March 10th which I plan on going to. They also have a couple Slims shows, but I'll probably skip those.

Trent said...

You know where they got their name, right? It IS bad ass.

R.W. said...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club got their name from the Marlon Brando film, The Wild One. They are the best band in America so you may want to get familiar.

GreyingRocker said...

You should judge a band by how they sound and if they move you. The Rebels are a great band to see live, if you like your music loud a little fuzzy and primitive. Imagine if you were around in the 60s and a band came around called the Beatles. You wouldn't listen to a band named after a bug. Personally I buy bands music with strange or clever names because I think its fun. Listen to the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Or Darker My Love. Or Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Close your eyes and open your ears. By the way I'v been going to rock shows for over 30 years and the rock n roll out now is the best music that I can think of. There is a lot of young talented bands that need air play not just youtube posts. Support the bands out there now.

TM said...

hi friends .. I like this article very helpful for me,,,,

indiesocc said...

I agree with the reviewer. These guys have always seemed like corporate label poseurs to me -- first ripping off JAMC and then doing the white boy blues thing. The name does not help, especially when added with the leather jackets and cool guy stage posing. Feel free to buy into their pre-fab image of danger and badness - I just can't.

As for the music, the first two albums were ok, if derivative -- nothing to get excited about. When they switched to a bluesier sound they lost me completely. Admittedly, my love of blues is mostly limited to 1920's acoustic howlers.