Friday, January 23, 2009

Band of the week: Antony and the Johnsons



for fans of angelic vocals, Beirut, Jens Lekman, ethereal music, John Legend, Patrick Wolf, and Jeff Buckley

a few days ago I had the pleasure of reading the most entertaining subheadline ever:

"Lou Reed's favorite transgender torch singer battles for Mother Earth"

surprisingly, it was in Rolling Stone

now I know the blogosphere is overflowing with praise for this band, which features Antony Hegarty's haunting vocals, and I hate to be just another blogger blogging about the same old thing but this music is really important.

it's very much sit-under-a-tree-and-reflect-about-the-universe-on-a-microcosm-scale music.

you don't have to be transgendered to appreciate the powerful search for identity found here.

the band is from NYC, with three fantastic albums so far (eponymous debut, the critically acclaimed "I Am A Bird Now" and their latest, "The Crying Light")

I hear the live shows are killer too. I'll see for myself when they headline the SF Noisepop festival, with a show at Nob Hill Masonic Theatre. buy tickets for that or other shows (in your area) at ticketmaster

Antony's latest effort (The Crying Light) was released on Monday, and I'm loving it. I will try to review it sometime soon, but for now, sample these tracks and let me know what you think

Antony and the Johnsons - Kiss My Name [mp3]

Antony and the Johnsons - Aeon [mp3]


Antony and the Johnsons - Fistful of Love [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
Lou Reed did guitar work and background vocals on this track.

BONUS:
Antony and the Johnsons - Crazy in Love (Beyonce cover) [mp3]
"who says I'm not a teenage girl" hahahaha, oh, look, he has a sense of humour. lovely =)

No comments: