Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday Music Definitions: Winter

I know most of the world has had record breaking cold winters, but California JUST got cold. a couple of weeks ago, I was walking around in sun dresses. now I've busted out the coat again, which I haven't needed since late November.

Ra Ra Riot - Winter '05 [mp3]
I've been listening to The Rhumb Line over and over and over again. it's become an addiction. great band, great debut, great song.

The Dodos - Winter [mp3]
ironic, because I bought Visiter in the summer, after being exposed to them as Spring was blooming. folk duo from SF, a pleasant sophomore effort.

Belle & Sebastian - Winter Wooksie [mp3]
simultaneously bouncy and melancholy. signature B&S.

Roses King Castles - Brass Winter [mp3]
Babyshambles was a break from The Libertines. RKC was the side project of Babyshambles' drummer, Adam Ficek. this song is basically just a xylophone and an acoustic guitar, but it brings back childhood memories quite nicely.

Joshua Radin - Winter [mp3]
this guy got his big break being featured on Grey's Anatomy a couple of years back. his music deserves to be listened to more people than that crowd. Matt Costa meets Sufjan Stevens with a hint of Elliott Smith. very soft music. he's playing a Noisepop show, and I got my ticket last week.

Sufjan Stevens - Sister Winter [mp3]
Sufjan Stevens never fails to bring out my soft side.

2 comments:

Murphey said...

Texas has been flirting with 40s and 70s, but a big cold front just hit this morning, ~35 F

Hanan said...

we've had mid 50's throughout the week, it gets a lot lower at night though...

at least we're not on the east coast...below zero and such.