Friday, January 23, 2009

so I finally got around to listening to Fleet Foxes...


...sometime earlier this week and I've finally dug up some of my notes. hot damn, my room is a mess.

and the verdict?

good, not great.
definitely over hyped, but they still have a handful of solid songs.

they jump around different genres, and that comes off as indecisive rather than deliberately eclectic. are they a folksy Arcade Fire? I think not.

"Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" definitely draws from Radiohead's "Karma Police". "He Doesn't Know Why" feels like a Christmas song. "Your Protector" is like a modern, indie version of "Greensleeves" (you know, the traditional English ballad about the beheaded Anne Bolyn [in the words of my beloved Dwight Schrute])

find my favourite two songs below, and if you like what you hear, head over to their MYSPACE

if not, I'd suggest you stick with Vampire Weekend. although I still don't understand why those two bands are apparently unwittingly rivals or something. no musical correlation whatsoever.

Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood [mp3]

Fleet Foxes - Quiet Houses [mp3]

No comments: