Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Morning Covers


Jamie Cullum – Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix cover) [mp3]
I actually heard this version before I knew it was a cover. I’ve had Jamie’s debut CD (Twentysomething) forever. I love it so so so much, it is a great laid back jazz/pop album.

of Montreal – Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin cover) [mp3]

really, this one speaks for itself

Built to Spill – While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles cover) [mp3]
This is one of my favourite Beatles songs, written and originally sung by my beloved George Harrison.

Radiohead – Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young cover) [mp3]
I would not have expected this but it is surprisingly good.

Happy Sunday everyone!

8 comments:

Murphey said...

As far as I'm concerned, you can now post whatever you want, and I'll check it out.

2plus2isjoe said...

Wow, I really don't like Jamie Cullum, but that cover really wasn't too bad... Well done!

_Jackie_ said...

Wow, that's a pretty good cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Thanks!

And George IS the greatest =-)

_Jackie_ said...

By the way, I have a song by Elliott Smith covering George Harrison's "Isn't It A Pity." Do you have it, or would you like me to send it to you?

Blair said...

"I actually heard this version before I knew it was a cover"

God, I can't even tell you how many songs I heard that I thought were originals, only to find out much later that they were covers...USUALLY Bob Dylan covers! SO MANY!

These are always the highlight of my Sunday!

Hanan said...

to everyone, thanks for the feedback!

and to Blair, the three that stick out to me are Love Will Tear Us Apart (I heard the Fall Out Boy version first) Romeo and Juliet (I heard the Killers version first) and "Wind Cries Mary", as I listened to Jamie Cullum before I got into Hendrix.

but those three songs I had thought were originals by the newer artists, I've heard loads of covers before hearing the original, but knowing they were covers

oh yeah, one more actually, I heard Bowie's rendition of "I'm waiting for the man" in Almost Famous before I heard Lou Reed sing it.

Blair said...

Speaking of Dlyan and covers...have you seen this?

http://www.jokeroo.com/video/funny/bob-dylan-no-direction-period.html

Hanan said...

"What a lot of people don't realize is that Bob Dylan wrote every single popular song in the last 30 years. every single one."
HAHAHHA
oh my goodness, thank you for that Blair, that was most excellent.