Friday, April 17, 2009

Band of the Week: The Henry Clay People


Why is it the bands that sound like they don't give a fuck always impress you the most?

last week I saw a really great band open for The Airborne Toxic Event, and they were called The Henry Clay People. Like TATE, THCP also hail from LA, but unlike TATE, they are unpretentious and unconcerned with anything but good ol' rock n roll.

Both their live sets and their albums are multi-dimensional, layering fun guitar riffs, exasperated lyrics that were probably written on someone's couch and an unusually slow and deliberate singing cadence that you wouldn't expect from a band like this. Finally, a good band that emulates The Replacements.

I was really impressed with them so I bought both of their albums, a 7" and a t-shirt even though I own absolutely no Airborne Toxic Event merch. I'm quite happy with my purchases, both albums are lighthearted and marked with their refusal to work full time. They are hard to classify, because if I call them punk-ish, I'll probably get pummeled, and if I call them pop-punk-ish I feel like I'm doing them a disfavour. How about I compromise and call them awesome?

give them a listen and decide for yourself

The Henry Clay People - Children of the Chin [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
from Blacklist the Kid with the Red Moustache

The Henry Clay People - Living in Debt [mp3]

from For Cheap or For Free

The Henry Clay People - Fine Print [mp3]
from For Cheap or For Free

visit them on MYSPACE

No comments: