Friday, April 17, 2009

concert review: Franz Ferdinand @ Fox Theatre 15 April 2009

I go to a lot of concerts, and 70% of the time, the band in question is not (yet) a favourite of mine. I go to determine whether the band is worthy of further deliberation. An expensive habit, I know.

When I have gone to see my favourite bands, one of two things has always happened: if they're relatively small (The Virgins, Delta Spirit, Liam Finn), they blow me away. If they're a massive band (The Killers, Fall Out Boy), their live show disappoints me so much that I am finally capable of letting go of my shitty high school tastes and never listen to them again.

Wednesday night, something miraculous happened. I went to see a band that I've adored for five years now and they were perfect. My intimate familiarity with (all of) their songs didn't hinder my ability to objectively state that they were great because I know good (and bad) live sets when I see them, regardless of my level of fandom.

Franz Ferdinand were incredible. The only thing missing from the show was my beloved 'Darts of Pleasure' (I wanted to hear Alex sing in German so so badly), but in all honesty the entire set pierced the audience mercilessly, and all we did was beg for more.

Between the perfectly crafted set list (see below), seeing Paul's neck tattoo (I swear that's a new development, I hadn't ever seen it before), the band's small-club type energy on stage and the sheer greatness of their musicianship, the night couldn't have been better. During "Lucid Dreams", Alex went behind Paul's drum set while Nick and Paul manned keys.

I was up front amongst all the fans screaming all of the lyrics, quite reminiscent of seeing Arctic Monkeys, in fact. Interestingly enough, the band's new songs (which fortunately didn't over-dominate the set: they struck a balance between old and new) didn't resonate too much with the synthy electronica found on the studio album; they were a lot more truthful to the old Franz sound.

Not that they've changed. They always have been, and always will be a badass fucking band.

Everyone went nuts for Alex's dance moves and the band's bouts of incorporating random instruments like maracas and a tambourine. The band's promptness (arrived on stage at 9:16, left around 10:45) was much appreciated. Nobody likes to stay out past midnight in Oakland...

It was my first trip to Fox Theatre itself, which was recently renovated. It miraculously combined the large size of an arena with the good acoustics (and open dance floor!) of The Fillmore.

Born Ruffians opened. I had heard their music before, and by their third song, I remembered what drove me to their music in the first place. I had read somewhere that BR were like Vampire Weekend, only better and without a massive internet following. I had liked them, but didn't think that they came near Vampire Weekend's greatness. Their live set converted me. They're like VW meets Dylan, which is funny considering how the "Oxford Comma" band is from NY, whereas BR are Canadian. The bass was rockin', the singer had great energy and power, the drummer have the set a good and steady backbone and the keyboardist/guitarist surprised us all by harmonizing beautifully on the last couple of songs.

highlight of the night: the final (encore) song: "This Fire"

low point: the retarded chick in front of me kept yelling at me for pushing up against her, which only happened when others pushed me. if you don't want to be touched, don't stand front row center, bitch

all in all, the concert was one of the best nights of my life.

Franz Ferdinand 4.95/5
Born Ruffians: 4/5

set list:



PHOTOS:

Born Ruffians:






my favourite Scottish rockers:




















4 comments:

hippiesaredead said...

Oh, wow. Did _not_ realize The Fox was GA on the floor. So awesome!

Hanan said...

yeah, when I first bought my ticket (like 7 months ago or something...no the anticipation really killed me), I looked up the seating and was THRILLED to see it was GA. I got after I got out of class, and waited outside with a friend for 6 hours. so.worth.it.

Anonymous said...

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Ich trinke Schampus mit Lachsfisch!

Hanan said...

and that guitar bit that follows those lines, damn, orgasmic.