Friday, September 11, 2009

band of the week: Paolo Nutini


I just came across this guy on Tuesday, while browsing last.fm and I absolutely love him. from the first couple of seconds, he immediately made my list of things to buy the next time I'm record shopping.

I don't know how I've gone all of my life without listening to him.
a. he's Scottish
b. he has a gorgeous, soulful voice, very Gavin Degraw
c. he has Italian blood.

like hello, future Mr. Hanan.

ahem, ok, so a little bit about this strapping young lad:
he's twenty two, very young and talented, like Zach Condon (only very very different). his debut The Streets was released in 2006, at the age of 19. album number two, Sunny Side Up, was released this May.

his music can be sunny, like Matt Costa, or nostalgic, like Ryan Adams, but it always has a sexy twist, like Adam Levine. that's about all you need to know.

now listen (and get ready to swoon):


I love this song. it really does suck to be treated like a little kid just because you're 18 or so. in the states, it sucks to be under 21 when you go to gigs.


awesome.


I love Jools Holland. he always has great musical guests. or so youtube leads me to believe.


so pretty.

he covered Amy Winehouse. that makes so much sense, it isn't even funny.



this is cool, kind of like Pete Doherty's tribute to Arcady

I realized, as I browsed youtube, that I had heard him before, on a commercial:



I remember totally digging the song, but thinking "oh, I'll look up the song the next time I see the commercial", which never actually happened. I don't watch very much tv, I don't know what got into me, not looking the song up that very minute. on a slightly related note, when I was about twelve years old, I wanted to make commercials.

visit Paolo on MYSPACE. he's currently on tour.

9 comments:

Alliiiie said...

stop entertaining me! i have to study! haha this fella reminds me of this lecture i gave to my friend today on theories about larger lips in humans being positive sexual indicators (its related to baboon asses). I'm a weirdy. Even though it is against my nature as scientist/atheist to assume without proof, Ramadan Mubarak Hanan! if that didnt apply to you then just have a good night.

ktr2 said...

haha my roommate freshman year loved Paolo Nutini...

2plus2isjoe said...

Weirdly, loads of people hate Paolo Nutini in the UK, and I could never quite work out why. He's not your usual poppy singer-songwriter, and like you say his soulful voice is just brilliant. Listen to "Autumn" from the first album, it's beautiful.

klein said...

I'm so happy for you to have discovered Paolo!I went through a stage of complete OBSSESSION with him last year. Also, I don't know if you get Coronation Street in the States, but if you listen carefully in the pub scenes, 90% of the time he's playing in the background!! (Included in the other 10% are Arctic Monkeys, yes I thought you'd like that as well.)

Hanan said...

hahah Allie that made me laugh. you should do extensive field research to support your hypothesis. I don't observe ramadan, I rank organized religion just below genocide in its level of evil.

to Joe, I heard the same thing about Jamie Cullum. I think it's just because you guys might be more exposed to them over there. it's kind of like how in America, it's uncool to like Jack Johnson. whatever, I love him.

and to klein, no, what is that?

Katie said...

Yay Hanan! Yay! I'm glad I'm not alone in my future Mrs. Nutini plans. No, I really really like his music. "Candy" is just a nice song, but I'm not sure about the second album so far. I need to do more listening.

Or watching...

Tara said...

I dislike Jamie Cullum; he just irritates me for no conceivable reason.

However, I looove Paolo - I've seen him live a couple of times and he's so much fun. The first time I saw him live he did a mean cover of 'I wanna be like you':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toviyEGt96w

It wasn't at Glasto sadly, but at Isle of Wight that year; the jist is the same <3

Allie said...

I think thats the most hot and bothered anyone has ever been made by the phrase "extensive field research". and thats saying something, as that phrase is pretty darn sexy by itself

Hanan said...

haha! a few of my best friends at Berkeley were scientists (off the top of my head, one bio-engineering, one physics, one chem-engineering, two pre-med) and I always quite appreciated their different-yet-equally-amusing outlooks on life.