Monday, September 7, 2009

The Strokes Post #197

for the most part, I don't approve of poetry-writing, I think it's a tad self-indulgent. however, a few days ago, I was looking for scholarships and entered for one which required a poem about how you're a global citizen. I started thinking about this blog, and The Strokes, and how universal all good things are. although I don't think I'll win the contest, I really like how the poem turned out so I'm sharing it here:

“the world is in your hands or it’s at your throat”, croons Jules

as I type type type away at a music blog which people read across the globe:

in New Zealand, Sweden, and Colombia.

with my daily posts,

and my ramblings about our favourite band, The Strokes

I see that my passion for life is constantly fueled not only by impromptu

late night sessions of trying to teach myself Latin

or my boxes of notebooks filled with subpar writing

(which is nonetheless genuine and close to my heart)

[[written in various alphabets and oft inspired by old films with English subtitles]]

but by the daily reminder that

la vita is indeed dolce.

as I indulge in the world’s most popular drink (thé)

I smile and remember the sticker which proudly decorates my vehicle

(more versatile and abundant than Japanese-made cars):

“think globally, bike locally”

PS
holy crap:

Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young from RVCA on Vimeo.


6 comments:

Allie said...

holy crap indeed! eeee! good luck hanan, I hope you get it. I waiting in much aprehension for results from a few scholarships and internships so I feel ya. you did great!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD THAT VIDEO. Too bad summer is over and I can no longer spend my day sitting at home listening to Julian on repeat.

Loved the poem by the way! How could I not...it speaks of The Strokes and of bicycling!

Katie said...

I loved the poem Hanan! And thanks for the video

Hanan said...

thanks guys XD

erg the video got deleted. damn, those guys are even coming down on vimeo. they must mean business.

you know what's the best feeling in the world? flying by cars in traffic, as you gloriously glide on your bicycle. that happens whenever I ride to work, there's ALWAYS a traffic jam and I never have to stop. also, my carbon footprint is smaller and my quads are fucking killer.

Katie said...

hahaha what?! crazy biker

Hanan said...

haha I won't deny that, but what I meant was that there is this traffic congestion area on my way to work, where the light is green but there are so many cars that they're just still in traffic, but I speed away on my bicycle.

in all fairness, though, I never stop at red lights when I'm biking unless I'm taking a left. I always turn right, do a little u turn, and then go right again. I hatehatehate stopping when I'm riding. I like to go fast =)