Saturday, February 6, 2010

Band of the Week: Showstar


Ah, Europeans. Somehow, bands hailing from non-Anglo Europe cannot seem to shake an element of charming fortitude from their sound. Their arrangements always sound adorable to me. Sweet like good Swiss chocolate. While bands like Phoenix perfectly demonstrate this in the spotlight, some lesser known bands are pounding away sugary melodies in the shadows.

Showstar are a band from Belgium with three LPs under their belt. Think Ringo, their latest offering (produced by Gareth Parton), was released on 1st February and is overflowing with delectable yet morose power pop. Like The Rakes before them, they manage to create upbeat music that retains a good cynical sensibility about it without sounding off kilter. Think Ringo is perfect car music for mischievous nights out. If you ever wished that The Verve were more edgy, you should check this band out.

The album will be available everywhere on 15th February, check out the band’s WEBSITE in the meantime to pre-order, join the mailing list, or what have you.

Showstar - On The Telly [mp3]
Showstar - Gold Mine [mp3]
this their lead single for Think Ringo, and the soaring sound was so endearing to me that I ended up listening to the whole record. I'm quite glad I did.

1 comment:

Rihanna said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Live music