Tuesday, March 24, 2009

cataloguing the damages...

I went record shopping today.

it happened on a whim: I was wearing a sun dress today, and, walking home from work, I thought to myself "I look damn good in dresses. I should buy a few more."

as I headed down to Telegraph, I realized the ridiculousness of my premise

and, as not to kick myself later for spending money on clothes instead of music, I headed towards the record shops instead

I limited myself to dollar vinyl (and a handful of used LPs); absolutely no new vinyl. I still managed to spend 80 dollars between Amoeba and Rasputin.

anyways, I bought loads of dollar vinyl, a heap of Elvis Costello records, a bunch of Kinks albums and a handful of 45s.

totals: 39 LPs, 5 45s

here are my favourites, and Amoeba is holding onto a copy of My Aim Is True (Costello), a couple of Black Lips LPs, some Ryan Adams LPs and the BBC Beatles for me, because I'm hitting up the SF store tomorrow and was worried I wouldn't have enough money.




er, the middle record in the first column is Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band. I accidentally had it backwards when I took the photo. the one in the upper right corner is A Psychedelic Furs album (the top got cut out)



on the bottom row, the black album is a live Ella Fitzgerald LP, the white one: Come Fly with Me by Frank Sinatra

I'm really getting into Grand Funk. I listened to them as I was cleaning my room last night. good stuff.

by far, my best find of the day was the following:



IT'S MY FAVOURITE CLASH SINGLE!

The Clash - Rock the Casbah [mp3]

6 comments:

_Jackie_ said...

Woo hoo! I love record shopping
I'm going to a conference in Sacramento on Thursday and I'd LOVE to spend some time record shopping but I don't think it will work with my schedule ='-(

The Arctic Monkeys one is a great find though! I've ordered it a few times from online stores and they always cancel it due to not having it in stock...

Hanan said...

I know! I also found all three singles for Favourite Worst Nightmare at Amoeba! I only bought Brianstorm but I'm going back on Thursday

(I also found some Franz singles. score.)

Murphey said...

White Light/White Heat is choice, so is The Cars s/t. You should really pick up some Keith Moon-era The Who, though, a la Who's Next, Quadrophenia, and Tommy.

Hanan said...

I love the Cars. I keep finding their albums in the dollar vinyl bins. this all started because I thought the album art of Candy-O was rad

oh, hon, I already own Who's Next and Tommy, don't have Quadrophenia yet though. my Who collection is blossoming. my copy of Tommy was 9 bucks but other than that, I only buy their albums if they're under 5 bucks. I hate those super expensive rereleases. I got Who's Next for 90 cents and it plays like a charm!

(that's why it took me forever to buy white light/white heat, I didn't want to shell out 30 bucks for a shiny new copy. I found the s/t VU record the last time I went shopping, for 3 dollars I think, that made me really happy because all the copies I had come across up till that point were fancy reissues way out of my budget.)

Murphey said...

Who's Next is probably my favorite album of all time, but Quadrophenia is a very close contender. I think it's heads and shoulders above Tommy.

Hanan said...

oh wow, I didn't know you were such a Who fan!

I've yet to come across Quadrophenia, but I'm going to Amoeba SF tomorrow and I hear it's like a grocery store. I am so excited. it's the first of many trips, I'm going to start going every time I go to the city for shows, so I won't have to lug hundreds of LPs home all at once.