Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Jakes: a bad We Are Scientists rip off?


I use my weekends to catch up on listening to the stuff I download all week.

I just listened to a track called "Cough Syrup" by The Jakes.

I downloaded the song because a couple of Fridays ago, I was in class and could hear a band perform on Sproul (Cal's equivalent of a high school "quad", if you will). I asked a classmate if they knew who were performing and she replied "a band called The Jakes"

so when I came across them on hype machine, I decided to give 'em a go.

the song sounds like a rip off of "After Hours" by We Are Scientists, with a Jimmy-Eat-World twist. I am not claiming that the band ripped off of WAS, just that the song is like a way-less awesome version of the aforementioned Brain Thrust Mastery single.
Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

Brain Thrust Mastery was released in March of last year, while The Jakes' Shake My Hand was released five months later.

Listen to the tracks and decide for yourself:

The Jakes - Cough Syrup [mp3]

We Are Scientists - After Hours [mp3]

Shake My Hand is available on SMART PUNK

you can get Brain Thrust Mastery on AMAZON

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These songs are by no means close enough to consider 'Cough Syrup' a rip off of 'after hours' - but now that you mention the two bands together, they would be a great pairing, a WAS/Jakes tour would be awesome.

The Jakes are a young band, only have a 7 song EP but show way more potential and musical depth than WAS. It will be exciting to watch these guys take off in the next year.

Hanan said...

well I wrote: "I am not claiming that the band ripped off of WAS, just that the song is like a way-less awesome version of the aforementioned Brain Thrust Mastery single."

sorry for the ambiguity

anyhow, I would have to disagree, I listened to their other stuff and didn't like it very much. We Are Scientists, though, consistently put out good music. I dunno, maybe time will change my mind

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)