Wednesday, August 19, 2009

book review: That Summertime Sound


It’s rare that you come across a novel so honest, so amplified, so relatable as That Summertime Sound. The story follows a nineteen year old college student during his summer adventures through the music culture of Ohio in the 80’s, as he experiences things that all music lovers can relate to.

Obsessed with a local band called Lords of Oblivion, the narrator desperately clings to their measly two 45s as divine inspiration. He is determined to meet the deliverer of truth—the band’s lead singer Nic Devine. What ensues is a rollercoaster of fresh perspective through a genuinely original story.

In short, this is a book that Chuck Klosterman should have written. I am a HUGE fan of Mr. K, and adore all of his non-fiction, but when I finished reading his first novel (Downtown Owl), I wanted to send him an angry letter telling him never to write fiction ever again, because he is damn awful at it. I was expecting a story grounded in music, with love et al. as a secondary thing, what I got was the opposite.

With That Summertime Sound, Matthew Specktor has achieved what I wanted Klosterman to fulfill. The book is riddled with abundant musical references—sometimes obscure, sometimes mainstream, and sometimes esoteric. Chapters are titled with song lyrics or titles, reminding me of how I used to title my own journal entries in high school. The narrator does not hide his disdain for his girlfriend’s favourite artist—Elvis Costello, whom he deems a phony, unworthy of the name he “stole” from the King. He talks about Grand Funk Railroad incessantly. He speaks of mix tapes and drugs, of girls and backlash from people who do not understand the sanctity of music. And with him, the reader discovers many shocking things, such as the mortality of our musical heroes. The story is as timeless as David Bowie.

Specktor’s first novel delivers a very powerful kind of musical description, only capable of being uttered by a person who worships a certain band. For example, the narrator describes a Lord of Oblivion song as one that “drew blood it was so urgent.” It'll make you stop and reminisce about your own favourite bands, and how powerfully their art affects you.

My favourite thing about the book was how the narrator’s perspective changed as he looked into the stories behind the music that he so desperately loved. He began to realize that while singles are the perfect form of delivering a powerful shot of musical glory, they might just be a way to hide behind the fear of creating a full length album.

My only criticism is that the author tries a little too hard to create memorable themes, such as “summertime adventures” or the namelessness of the narrator. In my opinion, he could have done it a bit more subtly. But that’s it. The book is great, and you won’t be able to put it down.

That Summertime Sound is prose of the highest form—irresistibly delectable and close to your heart. It’s the kind of novel that I wish I could have written, and that is a critic’s highest praise.

buy the book on AMAZON

4 comments:

kiko said...

Thanks so much for this tip. Please do more book reviews!

Hanan said...

I'll try, but the problem is, there aren't very many NEW books that I like, or even read. right now, I'm reading The War Against Women and an anthology of essays on Palestine/Israel called The Palestinian Problem.

I've been on a non-fiction binge =)

I AM looking forward to Ryan Adams' new book, though. that man... is just brilliant. oh, damn, I just remembered, I've gotta pick up that Moz encyclopedia...

Olivia said...

Hey, I have to read a non-fiction book for English class and when you posted a comment about this book I was really interested in it and wanted to read it. If you could let me know on whether it is or not that would be great, thanks!

Hanan said...

which one, The War Against Women?
I didn't really like it, it didn't hold up to my past (and current) obsessions: Wollstonecraft and Friedan.

The Palestinian Problem was good, but it was an anthology. also, I could imagine it would be a bit dense if you weren't super familiar with the conflict.

for good nonfiction, I'd turn to Gladwell...he has a new book out, too. or, let me check my shelf...oh! Krakauer! he was famous for Into The Wild but Under the Banner of Heaven is great too. Into the Wild was a great film as well...Eddie Vedder did the music and Emile Hirsch is always phenomenal. I actually just watched The Emperor's Club again, love that film.

I love good nonfiction, especially history or politics
Howard Zinn is greaaaaat.

I just love books and words in general, and I'll stop boring you now.