Monday, August 17, 2009

new Voxtrot single + interview


Austin's Voxtrot is one of my favourite bands. A couple of weeks ago, they announced their new single, "Berlin, Without Return...", and it sounds great. I like it a lot; even though "Trepanation Party" was interesting, I prefer this new single. It draws back from their older EPs (which in my opinion, was their best work). There are lots of pretty string arrangements, too. You can order the 7" or buy it on itunes by clicking HERE

I had the chance to ask lead singer Ramesh Srivastava a few questions. He was super quick in getting back to me, but his responses were a bit concise. Oh well, the music speaks for itself. Read on below:

Before releasing your debut, you released a bunch of EPs. Lately, you’ve been releasing singles. Have you begun to work on a full length album or are you just warming up your creative buds right now?


I suppose we are probably releasing a full length album, however, we'll probably start with an EP and see how we go from there.


Your keyboard player Jared recently left the band. How is Voxtrot different without him?


Cheaper travel costs.


While “Trepanation Party” was delightfully synth filled, your latest single draws back to the layered simplicity of your earlier songs. Are you treading between these territories or have you found your niche yet?


Not sure, just trying all kinds of things, I suppose. There is, however, a goal in mind.


I see that you are releasing your latest single via the recent trend of a 7” I know you’ve done this with previous singles and EPs, too. What do you think about the future of digital music?


I have no idea where we are going with the future of digital music. At this point, the only thing I mind is that nobody is hearing anything at great sounds fidelity. It's all mp3s...


Your live shows are quite a spectacle. You’re always up and about, dancing your heart out. How do you feel when you see musicians remaining static as they play?


It depends upon that band. Honestly, both can be good-I'm trying to work on a delicate mixture.


How has working with Jim Eno been? Are Voxtrot fans of Spoon?


Jim is great-he is really nice and studio is amazing. Any sound a musician might desire, Jim can create that sound. I am not terribly familiar with the Spoon catalog, but they are fantastic live performers.


Your lyrics are very memorable. Where do you draw inspiration for these words? Do you have a favourite lyricist or poet?


My favorite lyricists are probably Bill Callahan and Joni Mitchell-also Stuart Murdoch, and my favorite printed page writer is John Berger-beautiful use of language and subtle detail. I suppose I get my inspiration from the more subtle aspects of the lives of either real or fictional characters.


You’re originally from Scotland, right? What brought you to Austin? Do you prefer the indie-rock scene here better than Brit-pop?


I am actually from Austin-I went to university for several years in Scotland-it was wonderful. American and British music is so different that it is hard for me to make a choice between them. However, were it an imperative, I would likely say British.


What have you been playing on repeat lately?


Los Valentinos-Midnights (Emperor Machine Remix)


What current band(s) do you admire?


Deerhunter, Ponytail, The Field, Vampire Weekend.


Can we expect a new tour anytime soon?


Hopefully sooner than later, so, yes.


Any last words?


Stay tuned...


Voxtrot - Trepanation Party [mp3]


visit Voxtrot on MYSPACE to stream the new song and for other cool stuff.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Nice interview, looking forward to some new stuff from them. I've been listening to 'The Start of Something' a lottt recently.

Hanan said...

=)
that is like my all time favourite song ever.