Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Morning Covers


ZIP FILE

Faris Badwan (The Horrors) - I'll Be With You (Black Lips cover) [mp3]
very unlike the upbeat original, this one is dark and really quite interesting. while Black Lips are lo-fi, this one is just subterranean.

Kid Rock - No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley cover) [mp3]

Ben Folds - Golden Slumbers (The Beatles cover) [mp3]

Weezer - The Weight (The Band cover) [mp3]
not the best cover of this song out there, and it barely sounds like Weezer (whom I've given up on lately). but I thought someone out there might like it.

Oasis - Octopus's Garden (The Beatles cover) [mp3]

this is one of my favourite Beatles songs. oddly enough, I usually have it stuck in my head when I take long showers.

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson cover) [mp3]
this one is just as famous as the original, and I prefer it a little more.

She & Him - You Really Got a Hold on me (William Robinson Jr cover) [mp3]

Band of Horses - Your Love is Forever (George Harrison cover) [mp3]
are these guys perfectionists, or what?

Antony and the Johnsons - Candy Says (The Velvet Underground cover)
Lou Reed dips into this one. I love love love this. I've been on an Andy Warhol binge lately, and the Velvets have provided me with lots of good music (as always). Antony Hegarty has a beautiful voice and doing this cover must have been really special for him (he is transgender, and Candy Darling was a transsexual).

OK Go - The Lovecats (The Cure cover) [mp3]
this is fantastic. just found it a few days ago.

Spoon - Modern World (Wolf Parade cover) [mp3]

BONUS:
Elliott Smith - Jealous Guy (John Lennon cover) [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
one of my readers sent this to me. now we all know that Elliott left behind tons of live recordings and covers, but most of the sound quality isn't too great. this is a mind-boggling exception. it's really crisp, you've gotta download it.

8 comments:

Tara said...

Some of these are fantastic, thank you - the Elliott Smith one in particular is great. I heard the Faris cover the other day, it's bizarre; it's so dark but it's about friendship.

RE: Warhol, have you read 'Popism: The Warhol Sixties'? I read it a while back now but I very much enjoyed it.

Will said...

That' 's one of my favourite Elliott Smith covers, it's beautiful. Have you heard his cover of Nico doing Chelsea Girls? Ties in with Warhol as well.

Hanan said...

Tara, no I haven't read it but I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the rec.

and Will, yeah I've heard that (maybe I'll post it next week). Elliott Smith did SO many covers. bless him.

Anonymous said...

These really are terrific! Elliot Smith cover was definitely my favorite. I think you would really like this collection I found here:
http://yeahdevelop.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/hey-yo-hey-yo-hey-yo-hey-yo/

Equally terrific, but different. Great Blog. Keep it up.

Hanan said...

I liked the Klaxons cover. thanks for the link =)

Katie said...

love the Elliott Smith, thanks.

roc said...

I know this is an old post but its still up playable on hype machine. Im getting so sick of seeing Kid Rock's Bob Marley cover marked as Sublime. It is clearly not Bradley Nowell. He NEVER rapped.

Hanan said...

I'm sorry dude. it was marked that way. I'll update it.