Friday, October 23, 2009

Classic Track Thursday


Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK [mp3]
I think this was my first Pistols song-- long before I became fascinated with Sid Vicious, punk music, and/or mohawks. haha no, I'm kidding, I never liked mohawks, although Robert De Niro looked pretty bitchin' when he sported one in Taxi Driver (especially in that ending scene, when there's blood everywhere and he does that gun thing to his own head...genius.)
oh, and Joe Strummer looked good all of the time anyways.

...but then there's this.
we can sigh, we can laugh or we can choose to turn our heads and concentrate on the bassline in "NYC Cops", "Juicebox", or "Is This It". yeah, I think I know which one I'm doing.

I don't feel like I really need to talk about the Sex Pistols, I mean, come on, they're the fucking SEX PISTOLS. in short, they were a great UK punk band with one really great LP to their name (it actually was in the first pile of vinyl that I bought when I first started collecting...I had heard the album before, of course). for the Pistols, like all great bands, I feel like the music speaks for itself. listening to Never Mind the Bollocks really serves as a forceful reminder of what an insanely explosive year for music 1977 was.
the Sex Pistols will always be the greatest "fuck you" band. no pun intended.

1 comment:

thewaymouth said...

Damn fantastic track. Just sick. I have listened to it so many times since I first got it in early 1980, when punk caved in on my American head. It's "the only way to be!" If only... All these years later every time it feels like the roof of my head is going to come off when the song and the guitar gets to the living end.

BTW, I like your link-packed sentence about 1977. ('I hope I go heaven/ Cause I've been too long on the dole/ And I can't work at all!')