Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Morning Covers


ZIP FILE

Calexico - Fourth Time Around (Bob Dylan cover) [mp3]

The Flaming Lips - Borderline (Madonna cover) [mp3]
she's on the cover of RS right now. you wanna know something funny? I never heard any of Madonna's songs until I heard Ryan Adams cover "Like a Virgin". I still haven't heard HER sing anything, I'm just familiar with a few covers of her songs. that goes to show you how vehemently I avoid pop music.

The Violent Femmes - Crazy (Gnarls Barkley cover) [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]


Arcade Fire - Guns of Brixton (The Clash cover) [mp3, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!]
they just got this one right. I especially love the mandolins and Win Butler's "ohh"s

The Soft Pack - Fences (Phoenix cover) [mp3]

Dashboard Confessional - El Scorcho (Weezer cover) [mp3]

Jim James (of MMJ) - Rocket Man (Elton John cover) [mp3]

Arctic Monkeys - Diamonds are Forever (Shirley Bassey cover) [mp3]
this is very, very sexy (even though I hate diamonds)

The Magnetic Fields - Heroes (David Bowie cover) [mp3]

The Dead Weather - New Pony (Bob Dylan cover) [mp3]

Franz Ferdinand - Heisa-Ho (De Kift cover) [mp3]

10 comments:

Will said...

Rocket Man, snap :)

Double Hawk said...

I'm very glad you liked Arcade Fire's version! Guns of Brixton is by far my favorite Clash song, and they really do it justice. The mandolin and mega-phone really give a perfect sound!

Hanan said...

indeed =)

Rol said...

I loved the FLips version of Bohemian Rhapsody you posted a few weeks back, so I'm looking forward to their Madonna cover.

Francisco B. said...

Breaking News Alert Hanan! You can now listen to a new Julian Casablancas Song on his site its River of Breaklights! Im so exited I can not even express it in words! http://www.juliancasablancas.com/

Tara said...

Thanks as ever for the covers, there are some really nice ones here! :)

I'm quite possibly going to be attacked for asking this, but surely if it's a good song then it's a good song regardless of whether it's a pop song or not? I understand that some pop songs are worth avoiding (but then, isn't that the case with most genres?) but I'm not sure I would go out of my way not listen to something solely because it was pop...

Hanan said...

Tara you misunderstood me. what I meant is that I don't usually find myself in situations where I am surrounded by pop ie normal society. like how could a person go forever without hearing a Madonna song? I dislike pop because I don't believe that the singers are talented. I admire musicians who write their own songs, and to me, a song just doesn't sound right without some raging guitars if yknowwhatImean.

Tara said...

Ahhh fair enough haha - I like a good pop song now and then, although admittedly I generally prefer them when they're covered by alternative artist. Sorry if it seemed like I was having a go, I'm just really tired/stressed at the moment and am therefore being stupidly pedantic.

Hanan said...

no worries babe.

Allie said...

my beloved elton john!! i saw him live and it was awesome possum.