Friday, November 13, 2009

Band of the Week: The Radical Sons


"I'm feeling nostalgic for the things I've never known, and all those records you lent to me, I can't tell you how much those meant to me, cause:

I'm So Sick of the 21st Century" [mp3]
amen. we were 40 years too late indeed.

combining endearingly palatable psuedo-nasally vocals reeking of inspired exasperation with sensational guitars that chase each other around like a dog chases its tail, this band kicks off their debut EP, Throwing Knives, with a bang. a pissed off bang at that, and this short but sweet taste of the young St. Louis band promises musical deliverance from the mundane despite the lead singer's nihilistic insistence otherwise.

this band is like Television in an insanely awesome alternate lo-fi universe, all wrapped up in youthful garage punk vigour.

I love Amoeba Berkeley. I found ONE copy of this album on vinyl there a few weeks ago, I thought I would have to trek to SF or even pay extra shipping costs to get it directly from the band (who only pressed 300 copies of it). but nope, my favourite store always delivers. kind of like this band.

Nick, Benjamin, Geoffrey, Patrick are currently recording new material in Brooklyn.

visit them on MYSPACE and snag a copy of their top notch EP before their stores run out. side b is entirely demos and entirely awesome.
(also worth mentioning, the 12" has a handpainted sleeve! it's pretty cool, they combine mediums to give a couple of different textures. it's mainly spray paint, with a dab of black paint here and there. almost as cool as my Muslims LP, which has bullet holes in it.)

No comments: